FAQs: Home Improvements – Cape Cod, SouthCoast MA, & South Shore MA
Affordable MA home remodeling contractor serving Marion, Mattapoisett, Fairhaven, Rochester, Lakeville, Wareham, Bourne, Falmouth, Mashpee, Barnstable, Hyannis, Yarmouth, southeastern MA & Cape Cod towns
Below are questions that are commonly asked by our customers. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please feel free to contact us.
- We need more room, but we can't visualize how the house will look. Do you provide home remodeling consultations and home renovation options?
- Yes! We nearly 30 years of experience designing houses and home additions in Southeastern MA, New Hampshire and Cape Cod and we have built just about every type of house and variation there is. Our design services include 3D architectural animations and renderings which provide a virtual tour of your project; so you will have a visual aid to make an informed decision about your design concept, prior to committing to a plan. When you don't have the proper setbacks to build a first story addition, adding a second floor or basement may be a viable option to expanding you space . We are expert framers and builders and can also provide the engineering services necessary to modify your existing space. In short, we have all of the knowledge and experience to give you sound, practical advice for your project.
- I'm somewhat handy with home remodeling skills, but there are certain construction and home remodeling tasks that I need help with. Can you work with me so that I can do what I'm capable of doing?
- Yes, if you are building an addition, we can do the initial shell as your general contractor and simply oversee your home improvement or home remodeling project to completion utilizing our permits, if you wish to do your own finish work or subcontract it yourself to reduce costs. We will work within your budget to make your home improvement dreams a reality. In short, you can hire us as your General Contractor if you prefer to DIY.
- We had a home improvement contractor who didn't finish our project and won't answer our calls. Can you help us?
- We've had many customers call us because their original home improvement contractor won't answer their calls or botched a job. Our highly skilled craftsman can complete the project for you. We take great pride in satisfied customers and provide quality, dependable workmanship at an affordable price. We'll meet with you, assess the current status of your home project and help you to achieve the desired results.
- I don't like my kitchen, but I have received quotes that are outrageously expensive. Can you offer affordable kitchen renovation options?
- Yes. There are many ways to remodel a kitchen relatively inexpensively. Sometimes a simple facelift with paint, new hardware and decorative molding can totally change the appearance of an older kitchen. Simply reconfiguring your kitchen cabinets and adding accessories such as a kitchen island are also affordable solutions and can improve functionality and offer a great new look. We can build custom kitchen cabinets for you and install new kitchen countertops, or help you shop for cabinets within your budget.
- Do you install hardwood floors?
- Yes, we install hardwood flooring, as well as many other flooring materials such as laminate and vinyl flooring, tile, ceramic and stone flooring for both residential and commercial applications.
- I have mold growing on the bottom of my house. What causes this?
- Mold thrives in conditions where there is moisture, a food source and inadequate ventilation. Both interior and exterior mold and sill rot can often be traced to improper ridge and soffit ventilation. Quite often, fan lights and or solar fans can resolve bathroom ventilation and mold problems. Roof damage, gutter problems, weathered windows and leaky foundations are also possible causes of mold issues. Building codes require new construction projects to comply with ventilation requirements. We can help correct any mold problems at your home.
- Is it better to strip off the old roof before you put on a new roof, or can I shingle over it?
- Building code allows you to have 2 layers. If cost is a major factor, it is less expensive to shingle over the old roof. When you strip the roof, you can inspect the sheathing under the shingles. We have installed dozens of new roofs throughout Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts.
- We gutted our bathroom with the intention of adding a new bathroom vanity, countertop, fixtures, and a new tile floor, but have been unable to complete the bathroom renovation project. Can you finish remodeling the bathroom?
- Absolutely! We have remodeled dozens of bathrooms in homes throughout Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts over the past 25 years. We can remodel your bathroom space, add bathroom vanities, fixtures, bathroom tubs, showers, & sinks, new windows, tile bathroom floors, and any other bathroom renovation you desire.
- We recently removed a wall to open up a room and the plaster in the ceiling is cracking. What should we do?
- Please call us for a free inspection and consultation. Many walls in your home are support walls. If you remove the wrong walls, you can cause structural damage to your house and create a potentially dangerous situation in which someone can be injured.
- Do you offer any commercial services to MA businesses?
- Yes. Dennis D. Crowley Construction can provide many of the same residential contracting, remodeling, and renovation services to commercial customers. We are experienced in many areas of commercial construction, and have provided commercial asphalt paving services to many Cape Cod and southeastern MA businesses.
- Do you renovate or restore historic homes in the South Coast MA and Cape Cod region?
- Yes. We have experience in historic home restoration and can renovate or restore these elegant historical homes to their original beauty.
- How long will asphalt driveways last?
- Properly installed asphalt paved driveways have a life expectancy of about thirty or more years. These asphalt paved driveways consist of rock particles, sand, and asphalt cement, which make it flexible and durable at the same time. New asphalt is by far the most flexible because it still retains many of the lighter hydrocarbon oils that make up its DNA structure.
- What kind of preparation must be done before installing an asphalt driveway?
- Crushed gravel makes up the foundation on which the asphalt is laid, in order to promote stability of the asphalt structure. By laying five to eight inches of gravel beneath the asphalt you are ensuring a greater life expectancy for your asphalt driveway.
- Why should a seal-coat be added to an asphalt driveway?
- As water permeates cracks in the material and settles down at the base, the strength of the base is compromised, resulting in the formation of potholes. Cracks filled with water can also lead to damage from freezing. Even in warm climates, grass can begin to grow up through cracks on the edges of the surface. Damage from ultraviolet rays and oil/gas spills are other good reasons for sealing asphalt driveways.
- What is Dennis D. Crowley Construction's home improvement and home renovation service area in Massachusetts?
Live Updates From Our Twitter Feed! @CrowleyConst
- For additional updates, check out @CrowleyConst on Twitter.